Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Succulents at the San Diego Botanic Garden




Over the summer I spent time in San Diego.  I traveled around the area visiting a variety of different gardens. I started at Balboa Park, followed by Presidio Park and the San Diego Zoo.  This year I drove up to the San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas. I could not get over the magnificent Aeonium Zwartkop. They were used through out the garden, found in topiaries to containers. I love the deep reds turning to purple, it creates such visual weight that could be used as a focal point within most gardens, assuming you have the right climate. You can read this forum to see what others around the world had to say about growing Aeonium Zwartkop. Succulents are often found in containers, but I was in awe when I came across the the green roof on a simple shed within the garden.  Just an example of the simple pleasures found in a garden.